There “may be other victims out there,” said U.S. Marshal Steve Stafford of the Southern District of California.
Frederick McLean’s decomposing body was discovered on November 6th in his home in Seneca, South Carolina (Source: U.S. Marshal Service) where he had been living as “James Fitzgerald” for 15 years.
The 70-year-old McLean had “numerous aliases” and had also lived in Poughkeepsie, New York, and Anderson, South Carolina.
“America’s Most Wanted” Jehovah’s Witness Frederick McLean was wanted by the San Diego Sheriff’s Department on multiple counts of sexual assault on a child.
One accuser, a former Jehovah’s Witness who is now an adult, said McLean had assaulted her more than 100 times between the ages of 5 and 12.
Years later in South Carolina…
“He seemed really nice —that’s what’s so scary,” said Lynn Ellison, who tells WYFF News 4‘s Renee Wunderlich that her husband found their neighbor, “We knew Jim – he went by Jim at this time – we didn’t know he had any aliases. Talk about being nervous… I’m still nervous. It’s kind of eerie.”
“He had asked us then if we knew any young boys that wanted to help out – we think he was redoing the inside of his home – that could get into tight spaces, and what not and my husband and I exchanged an odd glance, like ‘Somethings up with this guy’,” said Jessika Faulkenberry, a neighbor, and mother of three who told WYFF News 4 her family didn’t know him well, only saw him walking in the neighborhood.
“The investigators working on this case never gave up. We hope McLean’s death brings some sense of closure for the victims and their families, especially knowing he can never hurt another child.”U.S. Marshal Steve Stafford of the Southern District of California
On November 15th, an autopsy was performed and a fingerprint obtained was compared to the known fingerprints on file for McLean. Positive identification was confirmed based on the fingerprint analysis, and no foul play is suspected in McLean’s death, according to the U.S. Marshals.
“The discovery of Frederick McLean’s body marks an end to the manhunt, but the investigation continues,” U.S. Marshals Service Director Ronald Davis said in a statement Friday. “I want to personally thank the men and women of the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office and the Oconee County Coroner’s Office who dedicated hundreds of man hours helping the Marshals identify the body and gather evidence allowing us to gain a better picture of McLean’s life as a fugitive.”
U.S. Marshals Service Director Ronald Davis
In addition to other victims, investigators are now trying to determine if anyone helped McLean avoid justice.
…there “may be other victims out there.”— U.S. Marshal Steve Stafford of the Southern District of California
Anyone with information related to this case should contact the nearest U.S. Marshals Service office, or local law enforcement authority. www.usmarshals.gov
See also KTLA local news, “SoCal child sex assault suspect on U.S. most-wanted list found dead in South Carolina“.